Jack Devlin - Summer Single Review


Jack Devlin is a 21 year old songwriter from Co. Down. His live gigs have been attracting attention on the Northern Irish scene and have drawn comparisons to Kings Of Leon, Jeff Buckley, Razorlight and Paolo Nutini, Jack has already supported well established artists such as David Keenan and Hermitage Green. Summer is the debut release from this exciting new singer.

Watch here:



Summer is an impressive debut from this young singer. Whilst I'm not a fan of the chorus, there is a lot of positives to take away from this single. Jack's songwriting is very accomplished and his vocal talent is evident. The part I wasn't so keen on was the generic Sam Smith style vocal on the line "are you ready for Summer?". Other than that it's pretty damn good.
About the song Jack says "This song is about how life carries you through the years, how things within life evolve, drafting moments and memories from past summers and admiring the future in those moments of euphoria. Growing individually reflecting on moments of joy and even the anxiety of the future as we continue to evolve as individuals. This song has a feeling of relief and an uplifting spirit in darker times, knowing there’s always a better day ahead. As I was writing this song, I was hanging out with my little brother and he was chatting in the background when I was recording the voice note. We listened back a few weeks later. I really liked the vibe it gave so I took some recordings of our conversation and put it into the song. I am an avid Bike lover, so I suggested the idea of having a bike chain noise to add to the groove of the song Micheal took the idea and made some magic with it, it’s just subtle but I find it really cool, the ending of the song we actually made in the studio and it was a off the whim first take was cool to have that little bit of magic happen in the studio".


Follow Jack Devlin:
YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foot Squeaker - No Connection Single Review

Logan J Parker - Cry Cry Cry Single Review

Logan J. Parker - Blue Single Review